reality's fantasy

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Art Or The Artist?

Someone asked me today if I had read any H.P Lovecraft books, and my answer was; Yes I have but I don't own any of his books.
It got me thinking why I didn't own any of his works since I am an avid collector of not just books but horror books, and since Lovecraft is/was one of the most influential writers of the horror genre it was indeed strange I owned nothing of his. Then I remembered why I had never bothered buying any of his books was because I found out he was racist and that lead me to the point of this Blog.

Should an artist's life or way of life affect your thoughts on the art? I'm on the fence about the whole issue. If a rapper came out that he was gay, should it affect how much I enjoy his music? I don't think it should but I know it probably would, I'm sorry for that bad example cause it makes it seem like I'm saying homosexuality is wrong.

Its like the whole Michael Richards issue, should I stop enjoying the Kramer character or enjoy it less after his idiotic "nigger rant"? I checked and it doesn't affect how much I like the character, but then why does it affect me in the case of Lovecraft? I am not sure really, maybe it depends on how much you love the art and if we do we become hypocrites and shun the negative aspect of the artist's life or maybe it just depends of the severity of the negativity.

If Hitler painted one of the most beautiful things ever would people still view it as something beautiful without judging the art cause of the painter?

I would like to hear any and everyone's thoughts on the whole issue so please drop some comments.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If an artist turns out to be racist or just an asshole in general, that does affect the way I look at them. One of the reasons I can hardly ever be arsed to check out any Kanye West shit is cos I think he's a complete asshole and he should stfu for once in his life. I'd consider buying one of his albums if I saw it for 3 to 5 euros, but that's it. It's bad, I know, but it's the truth. Same with Lauryn Hill. I love the woman, but when someone told me she made a few racist comments a few years ago, I was like.. Shit, I really didn't want to know that. Thank God it isn't true. Err, well I hope it isn't..

x Marisa

06 March, 2007  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I think it's highly dependent on the medium and how much of the person's personality flows directly through it.

Michael Richards may be racist, but it doesn't reveal itself through his acting. Lovecraft, on the other hand, wrote "On The Creation Of Niggers". Both men may be equally racist, but only one voluntarily exhibited it in his work.

Now, if somebody's questionable views aren't present in their work, I try not to give it a second thought. For example, a gay rapper wouldn't fundamentally bother me, but a gay rapper who rapped about his boyfriends and penises and leather vests would, because those aren't my interests. I also think celebrity Scientologists are nutty, but it won't stop me from enjoying their work as long as they keep their religion independent from their music/movies/whatever.

Nobody will universally cater to everyone's views, so I think it's important to judge art independent of the artist until the art is used mainly as a medium for the propagation of their personal beliefs. I feel that it's entirely possible to condemn the man while enjoying his artistic contributions.

07 March, 2007  
Blogger Femi said...

thank you very much for the words Marisa and Jay.
And you hit the nail right on the head Jeremy, but humans in their perfect imperfect nature won't always be able to be so open minded.

07 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home